Google’s ‘Digital Garage’ – a new online learning platform – is helping UK-based SMEs get relevant digital training and skills to help their businesses grow.
In today’s world, companies without a strong online presence find it difficult to compete with rivals, so the search firm is offering its services and expertise for free in a bid to help bring small business owners up to speed.
Google’s online platform and pop-up training camps will teach SMEs how to use everything from social media to managing their own website
Google’s online platform and pop-up training camps will teach SMEs how to use everything from social media to managing their own website. They will even learn how to utilise search advertising, so that their products and services reach the right people.
“It can be easy to think that technology is just for start-ups, but we know it can bring real growth to all businesses,” said Eileen Naughton, Google’s Managing Director for UK & Ireland. “So with fewer than 30% of SMEs having an effective online presence we’re working to help jumpstart the other 70%.”
“At a time when there is pressure for the UK to boost productivity to contribute to real wage increases, we believe Google can be a real growth engine that helps deliver these gains,” she added.
Google recently set-up one of its pop-up digital garage’s in Birmingham, which provides SMEs with face-to-face assistance in getting to, grips with digital technologies.
“It’s vitally important that small businesses here in the Midlands can compete in the digital age,” said Sajid Javid, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills in a statement. “So I’m delighted to see a project like The Digital Garage bringing skills to small businesses and entrepreneurs across the region and acting as a growth engine for our digital economy.”
“All the evidence clearly indicates that businesses with a strong online presence grow faster, have access to wider markets and generate new jobs more quickly. So this programme stands not only to benefit businesses individually but also to provide a real benefit for the wider economy,” he added.